Media Training 101 Overview
Not all media training is created equal.
In a crowded field, our firm stands apart. Here's what our clients have said:
"This was my seventh media training, and the best one I've ever had."
"The best training of any sort in which [I have] participated."
"My executives had nothing but positive comments about their training experience, and trust me they don't impress easily."
"It's difficult to overstate just how remarkable and effective our trainings with PMR have been."
You can see who made those comments and read additional testimonials from a wide variety of our clients here.
How We're Different
1. We conduct deep research into your organization. If there's one thing clients have told us more than anything else, it's how surprised they were by the amount of research we conducted before each session. We believe a session can only be effective if it's highly tailored -- and that "off-the-shelf" trainings don't work particularly well. In advance of your session, we typically read dozens of pages about your organization and each trainees' subject area, review your media clips and messaging, and develop dozens of real-life practice interview questions.
2. We customize our sessions to your specific needs. We can prepare your spokespersons for specific media formats or types of interactions, emphasize any specific teaching points you identify in advance, and modify the session length and agenda to match your goals.
3. We wrote the book on media training. Literally. Our book, The Media Training Bible, has been Amazon's top-selling media training book since its release in 2012. We also publish the world's most-visited media training website, Mr. Media Training. We eat, breathe, and sleep media training -- and that knowledge helps us earn the trust of our trainees almost immediately.
4. We know how to teach. Knowing how to deliver a successful media interview isn't enough. It's far more important to be able to transfer our knowledge to our trainees in a manner that enables them to act upon it immediately. We've regularly refined our teaching methodology since our founding in 2004, and have created a fast-paced, fun, and highly effective workshop that has been delivered successfully hundreds of times.
5. We root our recommendations in research. We regularly hear stories from trainees who were instructed by a previous trainer to do something that didn't have any basis in research. As a result, the trainees were trying to communicate in an unnatural manner that went against their instincts -- and that didn't work for their audiences. Wherever possible, our advice is based in research, not subjective opinion.
What Your Trainees Will Learn
Through extensive on-camera training, interactive exercises, robust discussion, and real-life examples, our trainees leave ready to take on even the toughest interviewers.
In a typical session, your trainees will learn how to:
- Understand the rules of working with the media
- Interview for print, radio and television
- Get the headlines they want
- Deliver a crisp 15-second description of their work
- Identify their true target audience
- Boost their credibility with the audience
- Develop messages that have impact
- Use the "message support stool" to strengthen messages
- Tell a story that moves minds and drives action
- Cite data in a compelling manner
- Develop irresistible media sound bites
- Transition from off-topic questions to on-message responses
- Manage adversarial and hostile questioning
- Remain "on message" without compromising authenticity
- Spot and avoid reporters' tricks
- Create the right "feedback loops" through effective body language
- Model best practices for gesture, posture, voice, and eye contact
- ...and more
Sessions are available at your location or in our New York City or Washington, DC offices.
Sample Our Work
Below, you can watch a few of our videos and listen to our one-hour webinar that teaches communicators how to prepare their executives for media interviews.
Read Our Books
Want to learn even more about our approach to media and presentation training? Pick up a copy of one of our bestselling books.
The Media Training Bible
was an Amazon #1 PR bestseller.
101 Ways to Open a Speech
was a Kindle #1 Public Speaking and Speech bestseller.
Please contact us for more information. We look forward to hearing from you!