Two-Day Comprehensive Media Training Workshop
During our comprehensive workshop, your trainees will develop powerful messages, learn how to navigate both routine and challenging interviews, and master media communications during a crisis.
This session can be tailored for newer spokespersons still learning their craft or more experienced communicators looking to enhance their skill set.
Our workshop consists of four main segments: Message Development, Media Training 101, Advanced Media Training, and Crisis Communications.
Your trainees will spend day one learning how to:
- Understand the rules of working with the media
- Interview for print, radio and television
- Get the headlines they want
- Deliver a crisp 15-second description of their work
- Identify their true target audience
- Boost their credibility with the audience
- Develop messages that have impact
- Use the "message support stool" to strengthen messages
- Tell a story that moves minds and drives action
- Cite data in a compelling manner
- Develop irresistible media sound bites
- Transition from off-topic questions to on-message responses
- Manage adversarial and hostile questioning
- Remain "on message" without compromising authenticity
- Spot and avoid reporters' tricks
- Create the right "feedback loops" through effective body language
- Model best practices for gesture, posture, voice, and eye contact
- ...and more
On day two, your spokespersons will learn how to:
- Master the most demanding media formats, such as press conferences, remote-style interviews, ambush interviews, and partisan cable news programs
- Answer challenging and hostile questions, such as "yes or no" questions, false premise questions, "guarantee" questions, and badgering questions
- Learn to use advanced techniques, such as advanced bridging, issue reframing, walking the ladder of abstraction, teeing up the next question, leaning into accusations, delivering more memorable sound bites, and redefining negative words
- Navigate their personal communications challenges more effectively, such as personal quirks, counterproductive habits, or insecurities
- Develop media communications strategies for particularly thorny topics that expose their companies or organizations to reputational risk
- Retain your authenticity and trustworthiness during an emerging crisis
- Communicate during several stages of a crisis by engaging in a real-time crisis drill with several iterations
Prior to your session, we will study the issues affecting your company or organization in order to develop dozens of practice interview questions that are directly relevant to your day-to-day life. Our background research also allows us to provide your trainees with more targeted and relevant feedback.
You can learn more about our approach to media training here, see what would be included in your package here, and read what our clients have said about our work here.
Sessions are available at your location or in our New York City or Washington, DC offices.
Back to top